|Valentine by George Wayne Lundeen|
The park, which wraps around the south side of the historic First Murphy House, was designed by the architectural firm Hall & Rock and completed in 1993. The design consisted of large boulders, benches, and meandering paths and featured native drought-tolerant plants.
In October 2015, the Carmel Forest and Beach Commission took pity on First Murphy Park and decided to make their Arbor Day project a face lift of the park.
A motion was made to dedicate the trees to longtime forest and beach advocates, Steve and Barbara Brooks. Their Cavalier King Charles Spaniels seconded the motion.
Not satisfied with renovating just half of First Murphy Park, the Forest and Beach Commission team were back in action as part of this year's Arbor Day activities.
Pastries and coffee were provided by Carmel Belle for energy (or maybe just as a friendly bribe).
Two new trees were planted, a Monterey pine in the lower "island" and a Catalina ironwood in the outer "island." Below the Catalina ironwood waits its turn to set root in the ground.
Plants were artfully pruned by Forest and Beach Chair Karen Ferlito.
Some just needed to be removed.
Irrigation was carefully reconfigured and
black sagebrush, rosemary, manzanita, rockrose, and the Carmel staple, ceanothus were interspersed throughout the lower "island" section of the park.
And the cherry on top, new wood chips were added!
Carmel Heritage Society, which makes its home in the First Murphy House, is very thankful to the Forest and Beach Commission and the City of Carmel for sprucing up the adjacent park.
The first house built by M. J. Murphy in 1902 looks the same on the outside, but the inside has been transformed into a museum quality exhibit spanning the 100 years of history of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
Some rooms feature architects of Carmel such as M. J. Murphy, and Albert Henry Hill. The other rooms depict Carmel over the course of its first 100 years as a town with a "temperament wholly its own". There is also a historical video chronicling Carmel's timeline from 1771 to 2016. The exhibit is open Tuesday through Saturday from 12 to 3pm. Check out the Carmel Heritage website for more information on this exhibit and upcoming events.
Now when visitors come to the northwest corner of Lincoln and Sixth they will be greeted by the Valentine's and treated to a beautiful park as well as the informative Carmel Heritage museum.
Until next time - Happy Adventures!!!!!
For an interactive map and guided walking tour covering many of our tours please be sure to download the GPSmyCity App from the iTunes store. The App covers an extensive library of articles and walking tours from over 470 cities worldwide, and now features articles from Adventures of a Home Town Tourist covering Carmel and Monterey (with more cities on the way).Photography
LA Momboisse and RM Momboisse
Be sure to stop by and like and follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/HomeTownTouristAdventures/